This post contains affiliate links.
It’s the best and the worst time of the day. The joy of clocking out, walking out of the building … ahhh freedom at last.. but then… TRAFFIC. Traffic in all its horrific glory is there to dampen your spirits. I’m here to tell you that you can not only decompress, but also be productive on your way home. Sitting in traffic won’t feel as terrible when you walk into your home feeling slightly accomplished. These are my favorite things to during my commute.
Bleach your Teeth! If it’s possible, give your teeth a quick brush before leaving the building. Stick those whitening strips on while in the bathroom, or stick em on using your rear view mirror. By the time you get home you’ll have a nice new set of pearly whites.
Start a Hobby! With etsy.com you can sell just about anything you create. If you have an iPad, you can use your commute time to sketch and create greeting cards. Options are endless when you think outside the box. I have never envied anyone as much the Grandma who spent her daily commute crocheting and knitting. I counted 4 different pairs of gloves, multiple hats, 2 purses, a scarf, and socks. All this in only the course of a few months.
Cashin In! If you’re looking for some quick money on the way home, sign up with a survey company.
- Ibotta Instantly claim $10.00 just for signing up through The Rising Damsel. Ibotta will pay out as soon as you reach $20.00. Which is really easy to do with their platform. Simply unlock rebates for items you would have bought anyways, snap a picture of the receipt, get paid. Unlocking rebates is as simple as answering a couple of product questions or taking a poll.
- Swagbucks Browse the app, watch videos, take surveys, play games. There’s a $5.00 bonus through The Rising Damsel. *Protip* Best way to spend your Swagbucks is on $5.00 Amazon gift cards they are only 450 points, and cheaper in comparison to other offers.
- Perhaps the most well-known survey company available American Consumer Opinion. ACOP is a reliable source for surveys, product trials and test advertising. Surveys on American Consumer Opinion take less than 10 minutes to complete. Easy to knock out a few on any commute.
Listen for Learning! I was able to study for my ‘Professional in Human Resources Certificate’ (PHR) with the help of audio tapes. Audio tapes are aaamazing. You can learn and absorb more than you realize when doing passive listening… So turn off the radio as it’s all chit-chat and the same old songs anyways, right? Got something tedious to study?… use audio learning. Passively learn and calm your testing nerves. You could even try a language program through a company like Berlitz.com. In preparation for your fantasy trip to France, it might help to know how to say ‘Bonjour’ and properly ask for a ‘croissant’. Choice learning could always lead to a raise too!
If you’re interested in starting a website for $3.95 a month you can own your site and everything on it through Bluehost. Run your own advertisements, sign up for affiliate networks and start pulling in money when people go to your site. See my post How to Start a WordPress blog with Bluehost for an easy setup guide.
Make a Connection. Call a friend or family member. Be mindful of state laws and cell phone use while driving. Talking to someone on the way home is great because it gives you a limited window to talk. A simple “I just got home and have to start dinner” confession, gets you off the hook every time.
Drink a Bottle of Water or Eat an Apple! I routinely either drink like a fish or forget it completely. Drinking a bottle of water on the way home not only hydrates you but staves off starvation. An apple in your belly will help to avoid the snack closet and overeating at dinner too.
Do Butt Exercises! How many butt clenches can you do? Really? Butt-clenching actually gives you a workout. Guess what? On the way home, you have plenty of time to squeeze those cheeks. I would start out with 20 sets of 5-second squeezes and see how you feel. There’s no wrong way to butt-clench. Kegels are another option, as well as flexing your pectorals while your hands are on the wheel. Your results will be more or less apparent depending on how much you work out already. I NEVER work out, and with these little exercises, I did see and feel a difference. Your results might not be as apparent if you normally hit the gym to do power squats.
Pick Up Food. Be strategic and help yourself with dinner! A quick stop at Wendy’s means you can load up on a couple of baked potatoes and salad. Just add some leftover grilled chicken and you have a completely healthy delicious meal. Fast food doesn’t have to mean french fries.
If you take public transport then these can be added:
PodCasts. Chances are you’re plugged into your smartphone anyways. Why not discover a new podcast to increase your knowledge? With the amount of information that is available now, there’s no reason not to indulge in a new subject.
Socialize. Absolutely feel free to keep those headphones on but… you never know who you’re sitting next to. Chatting on a bus or train could open your eyes to new work opportunities, career options, and friends. You could meet your future spouse or co-worker!
Make Tomorrow Easier. Organize your calendar, plan your meetings, do your research, write your speech. If you have the ability to write use it. If you know that home obligations take over the second you walk into the door, then…do what you can when you can.
Done with commuting all together and ready to start your own blog? My posts below will get you on the track to success immediately!
- Start a WordPress blog with Bluehost will walk you through an easy setup.
- Ultimate Tips and Widgets for Monetization for immediate results.
- Make Your Blog Post Go Viral!
- 100 New Blog Post Ideas For When You’re Feeling Stumped
Ready to live a more fulfilled life? You’ll enjoy these!
- How to Have a Successful First Week at Your New Job
- Be the Keeper of Your Money. Tips for savings and retirement
- Live a Happier Life- Tips Inspired from Abroad
- 10 Ways to Make Your Workspace More Comfortable
- Is Your Email Address Keeping You From Getting Hired?
Use the valuable wasted time to make your life easier and more fun. You have the time and you can accomplish so much! Have you tried to make your commute more enjoyable? Got some tips for me? I would love to hear all about them. I hope that you have a better commute tomorrow.