This post may contain affiliate links
Taking a mental vacation in your very own home will not only save you money and let you experience luxury but it will also open your mind to new and different parts of the world. A virtual vacation is just what we all need. I’ll show you how to add the perfect details to make your virtual vacation feel like a home away from home.
When I visit a new city, I pretend that I live there, and submerge myself in its everyday life and mingle with the locals. I do mundane tasks and try to blend in. I want to feel like I belong there.
When you’re in your very own bed at home and you pull the covers up to your nose and snuggle down, that bed could be anywhere you dream about in the world. After you close your eyes, you have the ability to transport yourself.
Money is tight but where would you like to be right now? Set a weekend budget and get to planning your get away right in your very own home. You’re not physically getting away but mentally you will have a fantastic adventure.
Choose a Theme
Pick a place. Do you want a tropical paradise or do you fancy a winter getaway? Personally, I’m in love with France and Europe. Through movies you can go anywhere in the world. Visit China? Walk the big cities surrounded by skyscrapers? Hangout in the country with bunnies and cows? River rafting trip? Mountain lodge get away? Movies make all of it possible.
Choose a Movie
Pick a movie that will inspire you based on those desires.
My Foreign Favorites
- Lost in Translation
- In Bruges
- The Science of Sleep
- Under the Tuscan Sun
- The Inbetweeners
In a Different Language
- Amelie- French, France
- La Vita è Bella (Life Is Beautiful) – Italian, Italy
- Pan’s Labyrinth- Spanish, Spain
- Y Tu Mamá También- Spanish, Mexico
- Spirited Away- Japan, Japanese
- Delicatessen- French, France
- Black Sheep- English, New Zealand
Themed Fun/ Adventure/ Kids
- The Little Mermaid
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Homeward Bound – The Incredible Journey
- Jurassic Park
- A League of Their Own
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- The Goonies
- James and the Giant Peach
Set the Mood with Some Research
Now that you have the perfect movie planned, how do you let that take over your life for a few days? What are the most important attributes of your vacation spot adventure?
Do a quick search online for traditions, daily routine, music, smells, favorite foods, style etc. Let these bits of information be your inspiration for your trip away at home.
If you are forgoing a vacation it’s important to still make this fun. You know that I’m a big proponent of saving money…. but sometimes when you spend a little money you are actually saving big money. In essence, by staying at home and fabricating a fabulous weekend, you are saving tons of money.
The dollar store and thrift stores are perfect places for costumes, jewelry, glassware, table runners, candy and food.
Go to a party supply store and grab some a propos fun stuff. Find all the best goodies for cheap.
- Prop umbrellas
- Hula Skirts
- Coconut Bras
- Paper Popups- Eiffel Tower, Trees, Flowers,
- Plastic Champagne Flutes
- Pirate Gear
- Paper Lanterns
- Table Runners
Choose a Dinner
Dinner is your chance to bring everything together. With a little bit of help from the internet you can research classic recipes that hail from the chosen country of origin.
If you are able to find a crockpot recipe use that! It will completely transform your house with smells of foreign lands. Make your entire home smell like a different place.
Ready to change your life and take your financial future into your own hands? Starting a blog is the best way to grab that freedom. Run your own advertisements, sign up for affiliate networks and start pulling in money doing what you love. Use my guide to take the mystery out of WordPress and Bluehost. Start Your Own Blog with Bluehost. The only thing to regret is not starting sooner.
Go hog wild. Buy the more expensive bottle of wine, splurge for the truffle oil, get the prosciutto. Visit an authentic pastry shop. Buy candles and a pretty table cloth.
Part of vacation is the relaxation isn’t it? No matter where you are pretending to go, make sure you give yourself a little luxury! Maybe this is the weekend that you get your hair or your nails done, make more of an effort to pamper yourself.
- Visit a pool or spa.
- Go to a waterpark!
- Any water / fish / mermaid movies definitely deserve a trip to the aquarium.
There are oodles of inspiring scenarios right in your reach. Use your imagination as to what the perfect destination vacation would be for you.
Ibotta will help you save big on groceries. With Ibotta you just snap a picture of your shopping receipt and match it with current deals available online. Get $10 just for signing up through The Rising Damsel, and redeem your first purchase by verifying an item from ANY of their stores.
Clearout the Home
This is for fun but every city, country deserves that their history and heritage be explored and appreciated.
If you decide to watch a movie that is in a different language, don’t be intimidated. Use English subtitles to help you out. A different language will add to the experience. Download some of the country’s favorite performers and enjoy the music as you cook or eat.
Tropical Paradise Ideas
- Buy leis, flowers and umbrellas forall your drinks.
- Start your day with fresh fruit and keep plenty on hand for the weekend.
- Ukuleles and bongo drums
- Luau music and fake palm trees
- Chocolate covered macadamia nuts. (Trader Joe’s and other specialty stores)
- Whip up smoothies using yogurt, banana, pineapple, coconut and orange juice.
- Kalua Pork is typical fare for your first night on the island this is a quick and easy crockpot recipe you can whip up. Hawaiian Style Kalua pork from Pineapple and Coconut
- Bonus points for wearing a swimsuit while you eat or at least sit on a towel. Haha.
- Start with a big bowl of strong coffee and milk… known as cafe au lait
- Fresh french bread is the most typical breakfast or splurge with a croissant
- Beef Bourguignon is a deliciously rich and flavorful meal that will transport you to the heart of France. Beef Bourguignon from The Recipe Critic will delight.
- Create a wine and cheese plate. Soft cheese are my favorite from France, traditionally Brie and Camembert. Fresh fruit and nuts will round out the tastes and traditionally this is served after dinner as a dessert.
- French music, hair in a chignon, heels and a beautiful flowy dress.
Want more tips on living like the French do? Check out my post Living a Happier Life Inspired By the French for more fun.
- Tea start with black tea in the morning
- For a traditional breakfast you will want to cook the following: Sausage, Bacon, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Toast,
- Fried Potatoes, Fried Mushrooms and Eggs. For an even more authentic taste look for blood sausage (black or white pudding), kippers, and kidneys.
- Finger Sandwiches are always a hit. Go for cucumber and cream cheese minus the crusts for a classic, or if you have kids go ahead and do pb&j.
- For an authentic experience pretend to pay double for everything (ha) and call the bathroom the “lou”.
I know if you have kids their desires take precedence don’t they? Sure they do. It’s just as easy to have a fun night or day with your kids that revolves around a movie. Just make it a whole day affair!
- Dinosaur Movies- Go to the museum
- Trucks, Trains, Building Movies- Find and watch a building site
- Outdoor Related Movies- Camp out in your backyard
- Animals- Go to the zoo, animal shelter, or pet store
I love to travel, there are so many amazing places that we all want to visit! It’s my 3rd passion in life behind my husband and blogging. Eating is the easiest way for me to travel to a different part of the world, whatever aspects of travel you enjoy, bring that into your home.
Get yourself in the right place for relaxation and enjoy your own little slice of paradise. You can wash your sheets, layout a robe, and pretend you are in the height or luxury. Life and experience doesn’t always have to be expensive, you can breakout of the blahs any day of the week.
Would you like 31 Days to a Happier Life? When you Subscribe to The Rising Damsel, you will get my free life boost tips that will turn your career, blog and spirits around. It’s the only one of it’s kind, check out the first 11 days here to get started A Happier Life is Closer Than You Think. These aren’t typical tips, they’re what I do on a day to day basis to maintain my smile. With a more positive mindset your possibilities really are limitless.
Where do you think you will travel this weekend? Will you make it luxurious or just simply delicious and full of food? I’d love to hear about your favorite movies too!
Make sure and subscribe to the blog to get access to absolutely everything I’ve created. Including secrets, guides, printables, freebies, and discount codes. Subscribe on the right hand side column. I hope that this post inspired you, if it did I’d love it if you shared it to your followers.
Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest. I’d love to help spread your content. Together we will be great.
Much Love till next time!