This post contains affiliate links.
My most favorite find in blogging research is reading about other blogger’s income reports and monthly updates. Traffic reports, successes, failures, new affiliates and one day I hope to get to report on my own blog’s income.
Starting this blog was exciting and labor intensive. It’s a much different feeling than I had towards my last blogging experience. If you feel like you are spinning your wheels on your blog… just stop! I can’t stress enough how important it can be to cut and run from an old blog and start a fresh one. Don’t fret over the past. Move onto your new found platform for a renewed feeling in freedom of expression .
The cost of liberating myself was minimal compared to what I gained. I really wish that I made the decision sooner. Oh well, late is better than never!
Bluehost. $50.00 for year
Genesis Framework made by Studiopress. $60.00
Tailwind. $109 for the year
Grand total approximately: $220.00 in start up costs.
First… you have to be self hosted in order to monetize your blog. Why wouldn’t you try to earn extra income (I am!)? Check out my post: How to Start a WordPress blog with Bluehost for an easy set up that takes less than 15 minutes. Bluehost offers you a free domain with their self hosting plan. Second …since I was self-hosting, it was really important for me to have a structured, professional looking blog. I therefore invested in a ‘theme’ or ‘framework’: Genesis Framework made by Studiopress. Studiopress has invaluable resources that permit you to make your blog look exactly as you want. Third… I made an important investment in Tailwind. This program is definitely optional but it has saved me a ton of time. (More Tailwind details below.)
What Got Accomplished in April?
Created Facebook Page. I created a facebook page for The Rising Damsel. You can access it HERE. My research unveiled may blogger complaints of only having Pinterest as a source of traffic. Nip this now and diversify from the start. My small Facebook work effort has been fruitful. Create your own page and start joining other facebook groups. Currently, I’m seeing traffic generated from other group boards, and not much from my own. This is totally fine because ‘getting out there’ is my main goal right now.
FlipBoard. I Created a free Flipboard account. I address Flipboard more in depth in my post here Traffic and Widgets, Tips for Monetization Success. In case you haven’t heard of the program, it is similar to Pinterest. There are no boards and when you subscribe you create what they call ’magazines’. You then can pin your articles to those magazines. With a ‘flip + it’ widget, adding to magazines is a snap, and I plan to use this as a traffic avenue.
Affiliate Research. The world of affiliates is absolutely amazing! I had a completely different idea of what affiliate programs were at the start of my new blogging mission. Right now, I’m registering with different affiliate companies and applying for individual merchants. This will definitely be key to my success as well as your success in the future. I believe that a strong base of tried and true affiliate merchants is key to your niche . There are so many to choose from out there!
Tailwind Utilization / Pinterest Follower Increase. I went from 22 to 308 followers since I initiated my Tailwind free trial and then subscribed. I highly suggest this easy scheduling tool. It allows you to mass pin as well as plan your pins days and even weeks in advance. Start your free trial on Tailwind. The program is awesome! Pinterest was always a huge pain in my derriere. The ability to schedule ahead of time is just genius. If you want tips on Tailwind check out my post Ultimate Traffic and Widgets, Tips for Monetization Success.
Career Help Posts:
Blogging Goals For May
- Share 8 blog posts. I’m really happy with my 7 posts. But of course the goal is going to remain at 8. Writing my ‘about me’ page was much harder than anything else, and I count that as blog creation not a post. 8 posts should really be feasible, and it will get me closer to my goal of 10 per month.
- Increase follower count from 304 to 400 on Pinterest. I’m still in the learning phase of Pinterest. I believe with my Pinterest activity and my Tailwind account we have a good shot at 400.
- Increase Page Views. In my first month of blogging The Rising Damsel logged 686 views! We sure are far away from where we need to be, but I was ecstatic to break 500 views the first month. I hope to double that for my 2nd month. Come on big 1,000….and eventually my goal of 100,000!
- Get Ahead of Posts.
- Utilize Group Boards on Pinterest. Bravo to all the lovely friends who have contributed to my Connect and Share Group Board on Pinterest. Keep it up you are inspiring me big time. Follow me here.
- Be more Involved. As my blog grows in number of posts, I will begin to spread my wings. I’ve been sheepish about directing people to a relatively new site.
- Research and Add Affiliates.
- Create Printables. I knew I liked using picmonkey and canva, but wow I think printables are calling my name. The ones I have created for my personal use have been super helpful and I plan to share them soon.
- Grow Subscriber List. My goal to grow my subscriber list is to create an HR e-book. I realize this is a ways away but worth mentioning.
Best Ever Day: 72
Search Engines: 4
What’s the Plan?
Keep it Up! Never devalue your hard work and your efforts. I can’t believe how quickly my site is coming together. This blog is something that I have manifested for a while. I’m so glad that I made the switch to WordPress.org and set up self hosting. In the past, I blogged on Blogger which by the way was great. However, the analytics and widgets available through WordPress.org are truly blog changing. Owning your content in this way makes you feel like you are truly investing in your future. Check out my post: How to Start a WordPress blog with Bluehost for an easy set up that takes less than 15 minutes. If you’re already self hosted check out this post: Tips and Tricks for Monetization Success. The sooner you implement change the sooner you will see results! Get yourself set up for a truly great change for the better.
I hope that you enjoyed my first blogging report and if you found it helpful, please ‘like’ and ‘subscribe’, I have so much more to share, and I hope I inspired you! Also, please feel free to ask me any questions you have and I will be happy to post any help that I can. I know that in the future we will need a strong base of support! Post your blog below so we can create a loving, supportive community.
Much Love!! So much love! XoxXooxxXOoXo Sam